- Full Time
Millions of people around the world depend on Surfline Wavetrak’s products to enrich their experiences in and around the ocean. For 35 years, our company has connected people with the ocean. Starting with surfers and expanding to offshore cruisers, anglers and a myriad of other boating, fishing and surfing enthusiasts, we’ve made it our mission to deliver peak maritime experiences. We provide those who work and play in the ocean with all the advanced tools, personalized insights and immersive content to make their lives better -- supplying them with the information they need to make smarter decisions, seek out new experiences and gain valuable knowledge.
At Surfline Wavetrak, we do great work from anywhere. This ranges from our headquarters in Huntington Beach, CA, to across the globe. This position is eligible to be based from a variety of locations, including full-time remote.
Ready to lead the team that powers the most advanced surf forecasting platform? We're looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team and lead a group of software engineers responsible for both the forecast platform and web experience of Surfline. Using your strong technical skills and ability to partner with your design and product counterparts, you will help shape the future of one of our most valued set of features used by millions of users across the globe. If leading teams that build data pipelines and provide modern web experiences is your passion, then this is the job for you.
What You'll Do:
- Manage a team of 3-7 engineers at all levels
- Be able to function as a Senior level developer when necessary
- Architect solutions for complex initiatives across platforms
- Building technical plans for delivering and operating systems
- Be responsible for the technical roadmap for the forecast engineering squad
- Own the web experience and services across multiple brands:
- Build services and APIs
- Develop performant web experiences
- Ensure we’re spending time architecting for the future where and when we need to
- Identify areas of technical debt and do the cost-benefit analysis for resolving this debt
- Architect and optimize applications to minimize cost
- Participate in after-hours production support and scheduling
- Foster career growth and a healthy work environment among direct reports
- Maintain and grow a strong engineering culture
What We're Looking For:
- A BS-MS in Computer Science or related degree
- Experience managing business critical consumer websites and services
- Experience cultivating a test driven culture
- Production experience developing and operating business critical data pipelines
- Production experience with microservice architectures
- A seasoned AWS practitioner
- Strong understanding of CI-CD and application monitoring
- Demonstrated ability to learn & adapt to new technologies
- Passion for building products
You May Also Have:
- Experience with web technologies and frameworks like Next.js, React, Redux, Webpack
- Working knowledge of Terraform, ECS, Docker, Node, React, Redis, Airflow
- Understanding of Mobile App development
Inclusion at Surfline Wavetrak:
Surfline Wavetrak believes the ocean is for everyone, that the magic of riding waves should be shared by all, and diversity and inclusion must be reflected in everything we do. In fact, the company is committed to making surfing a more inclusive culture, lifestyle, and community.
We are dedicated to bringing people together across the globe, and we champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity. Surfline Wavetrak recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, and any other protected status.