Technical Product Manager
- Plymouth, United Kingdom
- Full Time
- Product Management
Millions of people around the world depend on Surfline Wavetrak’s products to enrich their experiences in and around the ocean. For 35 years, our company has connected people with the ocean. Starting with surfers and expanding to offshore cruisers, anglers and a myriad of other boating, fishing and surfing enthusiasts, we’ve made it our mission to deliver peak maritime experiences. We provide those who work and play in the ocean with all the advanced tools, personalized insights and immersive content to make their lives better -- supplying them with the information they need to make smarter decisions, seek out new experiences and gain valuable knowledge.
At Surfline Wavetrak, we do great work from anywhere. This ranges from our office in Plymouth, to across the globe. This position is eligible to be based from a variety of locations, including full-time remote.
Surfline Wavetrak has over 800 HD cameras pointing at surf beaches and wave pools around the globe. These cameras stream live video directly to an audience of passionate surfers, both to check the surf at their local beach and increasingly as a broadcast quality experience allowing them to watch great waves and great surfing further afield. These cameras are also sensors, feeding into proprietary machine learning algorithms that can detect and quantify every aspect of the surfing experience and turn this into actionable insights for surfers heading into the water.
As the Technical Product Manager for the Camera Platform squad, you will own building the platform that manages and blends these two capabilities in ways that allow for the next generation of product experiences for our audience. This role requires strong technical and product management experience, an entrepreneurial spirit, versatility and expertise in all aspects of video workflow, delivery, and user experience.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for the Camera Platform roadmap: leading strategy, backlog prioritization, planning and execution of product and feature launches to ensure we are producing the best camera experience possible.
- Own product delivery of the live video platform and lead successful execution and delivery of customer streaming experiences and operational tools.
- Dig deep into the design and architecture of streaming solutions optimizing for availability, latency, scalability, and operational efficiency.
- Collaborate with Data Science to test machine learning algorithms and productionalize them into API's for our vision of turning surf cameras into ML surf sensors.
- Use analytics, user testing, customer feedback, and optimization technologies to drive continuous and iterative improvement in the quality and performance of Surfline’s live video delivery, monitoring, and management tools.
- Serve as central point-of-contact for our camera products, connecting product, engineering, data science, strategy, and our in-house camera operations team.
What We're Looking For:
- 3+ years of relevant experience as a product manager.
- Ability to drive and influence business decisions based on data and metrics with expertise in web, mobile, and video analytics such as Conviva.
- Demonstrated ability to discuss technical, business and user experience tradeoffs and define compelling initiatives; driving them to completion with no assistance.
- Deep understanding of business, design, technology, software engineering and agile engineering culture.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Entrepreneurial, get it done attitude.
You May Also Have:
- Experience working with entertainment products such as streaming services, social media, video platforms, or games.
- Familiarity with live streaming delivery technologies including video formats, protocols, encoders, CDNs, and CMS workflows.
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence, SQL-Redshift, Segment, Zendesk.
- Passion for ocean-going activities, ideally surfing, fishing, or boating.
Inclusion at Surfline Wavetrak:
Surfline Wavetrak believes the ocean is for everyone, that the magic of riding waves should be shared by all, and diversity and inclusion must be reflected in everything we do. In fact, the company is committed to making surfing a more inclusive culture, lifestyle, and community.
We are dedicated to bringing people together across the globe, and we champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity. Surfline Wavetrak recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, and any other protected status.